POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb : Re: Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Jun 2000 03:51:03
Message: <3941F368.E9FFD86D@gmx.de>
SamuelT wrote:

> > I thought about the comparison with heightfield you mentioned and had
> > the idea, that hexagonal basalt-structures you can see in vulcanic
> > regions could easily be modelled using this technique, maybe I will try
> > that sometime...
>
> I don't know how to go about doing that, at least if the columns are going to
> be perfect hexagons. I could think of how to do one that has slightly
> squished hexagonal columns...

I found two links for better understanding:

http://cyberfair.gsn.org/Nespelem/Basalt_Columns_.html
http://home.t-online.de/home/realschule.linz.rhein/basalt.jpg

IIRC the columns are about 20cm diameter and quite irregular, no single
crystals, but that does not seem important to me because I like to place
them as objects like the cylinders.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>